Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mother to Son By Langston Hughes

I think this poem is very clear on what it's meaning is. I think that Hughes used a stair case as a metaphor for the struggles or road blocks in life that one has to face. "Life for me ain’t been no crystal stair." Here he is saying life has not been an easy, clear road.
"It’s had tacks in it, And splinters, And boards torn up, And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare." The tacks, splinters, and boards represent the challenges that have come about during the mother's journey in life. There is no carpet on the floor because life has not been laid out for like a carpet for the mother, she had to find her own way, hence the reason why the floor would be bare. In the second stanza to me the mother is telling the son to never give up the fight in life's journey no matter how hard it may be because although her life was not laid out for her like a carpet she has not giving up. Up until this day she is still "... For I’se still goin’,honey,
I’se still climbin’,
And life for me ain’t been no crystal stair."

1 comment:

  1. On the right track, here....see my comments on blogs from previous classes

    ReplyDelete